Saturday, January 23, 2010

Food

So a quick second post, just to give you something to ponder.

I am trying to follow a healthy diet at the moment. My last 6 months or so of Nurse Anesthesia school followed by Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and vacation added 20+ pounds to the scales. That is not okay. In fact, it's just about forbidden by the military, because it makes me overweight. Not only overweight, but unhealthy. So, after I got home, I set about to renew my exercise obligation, and pay attention to what I stuff in my mouth.
    And that's when I made a realization. I don't normally think of food as fuel, and I don't think many other people do either. We treat it as soooo much more, companionship, comfort, reward, etc. We eat when we are happy, we eat when we are sad, we eat when we are bored, etc., often without thought. It is GIGO. When I treat food as fuel, I am much more likely to stick with a diet plan. If food is only fuel, then fruits and vegetables, proteins and healthy carbohydrates are what I need, and what I am going to consciously choose to ingest. I'm also much less likely to overindulge, because just as you can't overfill a car's gas tank, it's useless to try and cram extra fuel into our bodies.
     And then I thought about the inverse parallel of this information I had realized. I'm not sure an inverse parallel is the correct phrase, but stick with me here. :) If the Word of God, fellowship or worship is treated only as fuel, then we only want the minimum necessary to keep us going. But if we recognize all the other things beyond basic fuel that the Bible, fellowship and/or worship provide, we are much more likely to want to Feast on these things. If we recognize the comfort, the reward, the encouragement, the uplifting rewards to be found in the Bible/fellowship/worship, we go beyond the minimum necessary to the point that we are no longer just spiritually surviving, but experiencing spiritual growth from an abundance of spiritual food.
     What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Very true. If we would just recognize how out of whack our priorities are, we'd be much healthier and happier. How often do we sit through services on Sunday morning as spiritual anorexics, but make sure we're first in line to gorge ourselves at the Chinese buffet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could write a book... but i wont. Thanks for that post. I wasn't sure what way you were going.. most of us dont want to hear what you are talking about but it needs to be said and for that i say thanks! Keep up the posts and i'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. If we would just recognize how out of whack our priorities are, we'd be much healthier and happier. How often do we sit through services on Sunday morning as spiritual anorexics, but make sure we're first in line to gorge ourselves at the Chinese buffet?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.