Monday, February 1, 2010

First full day back to work

     It's finally happened! Today was my first full day back at work. I have longed for and dreaded this day almost since I found out I was accepted into anesthesia school three long, arduous years ago.
     I have longed for, because it means I have successfully completed something that only a privileged few (relatively speaking) are allowed to even attempt, let alone finish. Longed for, since it represents the accomplishment of the goal I set for myself while I was still in nursing school, over ten years ago. Longed for, in view of the sacrifices my family and I had to make to arrive at this moment. Longed for, because it represents confirmation of the support and encouragement I have received from so many sources over the years.
     Dreaded, because this day is the milestone from which the rest of my career will be determined. Dreaded, since this means I am no longer in the student role, but am now truly and completely responsible. Dreaded, because it means I cannot be lazy and sleep in, or spend the time with my family I have come to enjoy over the break. Dreaded, since it means I have to be a responsible citizen again.
     Of course, this would all be so much more applicable if I was actually allowed in the O.R.! That's right, I am in-processing. For those of you who are not in the military, in-processing is an inglorious and painful (really, really painful) opportunity to visit many different aspects of the hospital and/or base that I would never see otherwise! I think I logged about 2 1/2 miles treking back and forth between the first floor and the third floor and the second floor and the outbuildings and the third floor and the first floor and the second floor and the third floor and the second floor and the third floor and the . . . you get the idea, don't you? It didn't help that I out-processed this same place not too terribly long ago, and many things have moved in that intervening short time period, so I got to walk extra to visit areas that weren't where I left them.
     So hopefully I will be in the O.R. soon, fulfilling the role of CRNA as intended. But in the meantime, at least I get to go explore and meet new and interesting people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.