Saturday, January 12, 2013

How to Evangelize

     I'm not a people person. I'm really not very good at getting to know people, or even starting conversations. My wife, on the other hand, can be best friends with someone in a line after only five minutes.

     I've been aware of this isolationism for quite a while, and I have been praying that God would change me, and that I would become more evangelistic through personal conversation. While I was praying and meditating about this last night, it occurred to me that we have a perfect example of this type of evangelism recorded for us in the New Testament! This is found in John chapter four.

     We read the opening of a conversation in verse seven.  "A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, 'Give me a drink.'” (NASB)


     Those few words opened a conversation with this woman that Jesus had never met before! As the conversation continues, Jesus introduces the need for salvation, and the position of sin that she was in.

     What was the result of this conversation? Firstly, the woman began asking questions of her own. The conversation continues to the point where, 25 The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” 26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am he.”

     This made such an impact, 28 So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people, 29 “Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?”30 They went out of the town and were coming to him."

     What an awesome example for those of us who have trouble talking to others! Jesus ended up with the opportunity to speak to an entire community from a simple question, "Will you give me a drink?" (NIV) I am fairly confident that each one of us can ask a simple question to someone we don't know.

     There is one other aspect about this encounter that I would like to bring out. Jews didn't usually speak or mingle with Samaritans, but Jesus was willing to break that barrier as well. We need to be willing to talk to anyone and everyone that we get the opportunity with, whether they are acceptable in our society or on the fringe.

     If you struggle with personal evangelism, I challenge you to follow Jesus' example. Start a conversation with someone you don't know. I pray God's Blessings on you and I as we strive to be more Christ-like in our evangelism!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.