Saturday, February 2, 2013

Linen Tunics and Booty Shorts

     My daily Bible reading plan has me in Leviticus right now. Leviticus is a review of the laws of the Levites, or priests. It has been so striking to read through this book from the perspective of how it applies to me, since we as Christians are told that we are now God's priests. 1 Peter 2:9 tells us, "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (ESV, emphasis mine - RJA)

     I have only recently begun to think of myself as Jehovah God's priest, and I have to tell you that it has made an impact in my life. To read through the descriptions of what the priests are dedicated to, how they are to live their lives in such a way as to be able to offer sacrifice at nearly any time. These priests can only offer sacrifice if they themselves are pure. And isn't that what Peter is emphasizing also, the idea that we belong to God, we are no longer in darkness, but are to live lives of purity at all times?
     
     Which brings me to a consideration. In Leviticus chapter eight, we read of the clothing placed upon Aaron and his sons for their duty as priests. These items were first described in Exodus chapter 28. When you read through this description we find that these priests were to were breeches that essentially covered them to their knees (vs. 42) and tunics (vs. 42) which is found in Strong's concordance as the Hebrew word kethoneth which comes from the root word katheph meaning to cover. It is defined as covering the shoulders, and hanging down below. From Exodus 28:40 we know that they were long enough to need sashes to take them in at the waist. So what does all this mean in for me as a priest under the New convenant?

     Since the Old law was given to instruct us or prepare us for the New (Romans 15:4), then as a priest under the New Law, isn't the minimum given in the Old a great place to start? That means that at all times outside of my bedroom or bathroom, I should be attired from neck to knees, with covering of the upper part of the arm. If you are a New Testament Christian, than this should be your starting place as well.

     Why do I bring this up? I do so for a couple of reasons. These garments in the Old Testament were designed to cover, not accentuate. This seems to be a lesson that some of the ladies, and especially young ladies in the worship need to address. As Job put it so aptly, “I have made a covenant with my eyes; How then could I gaze at a virgin?" (Job 31:1, NASB) It becomes really hard to keep that covenant on Sunday mornings, evenings or even Wednesday nights or other church-related activities with what many supposedly Christian women are wearing. I do my best to imitate Job in this respect, but ladies, if I spill some juice, or dump some crackers in your lap some Sunday, you'll understand why, won't you?

     A second reason for this post is that it is the time of year here in my home state when many are planning their spring vacations to warmer locales. These locales usually tend to include beaches. Just because you're not at home doesn't mean you're not still a priest of God with the attendant qualifications and duties. So, if you plan to "hit the beach" make sure you are covered in a way that God would approve of. For me, that means board shorts and a rash guard shirt. For my wife and girls, board shorts and a modest one piece. If a modest one piece can't be found, they go for the board shorts and rash guard shirts as well. Also, if you plan to "hit the beach", it's probably a really great idea to find one that isn't so popular, so us menfolk can keep our covenant that Job stated.

     I haven't stated anything new here today, nothing earth-shattering, nothing mind-blowing, but a simple reminder that we are the priests of Jehovah, and we must act accordingly!

     May God bless us all as we strive to glorify Him and serve Him diligently as His priests under the New Covenant  -  Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.