Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Scares and Prayers

I posted the short version on FB. Here is the rest of the story.

     I went for a run with Buck this afternoon in between the rain showers. Buck and I were just cooling down at the park when I heard my name shouted and saw someone coming toward me from the parking lot. I was very confused as to who it might be, since it wasn't Mrs. Penguin and she was the only one who would know where I was. It was one of my friends and co-workers, come to let me know that the Mrs. had called their house to ask him to come find me, since she had fallen down the stairs and thought she might have broken her ankle.
    I was very scared, as you might imagine, since she is 32 1/2 weeks along. We rushed home and found her sitting on the floor, her swollen and bruised ankle on a pillow with ice on it. Apparently she was coming down the stairs and slipped or tripped 2 or 3 stairs from the bottom. She and the kids all heard a loud snapping sound when it happened.
     I decided to call the ambulance, since I didn't think we could maneuver her into the truck with a bum ankle. Fire engines x2, Security Forces, Fire Chief's vehicle, and finally an ambulance arrived. They took her history and VS, splinted her ankle and took her away to the Emergency Room. Our friend took the kids home with him, and I followed to the hospital.
    We didn't spend much time in the actual Emergency Room, since it was packed beyond capacity with a full waiting room. One of the wonderful nurses there took her back and triaged Mrs. Penguin quickly, once I let the front desk know she had experienced a couple contractions. From there it was a short trip to the x-rays, then upstairs to L&D for monitoring of Mommy and Baby. We were there within about an hour and a half after the fall.
     Later I had to leave to get Mrs. Penguin some dinner, since she wasn't admitted and Gestational Diabetes requires regular intake of food. When I got back, she was cleared to go from the O.B. standpoint, but there was still no word on her ankle. So back to the E.R. we went, where she got a splint, crutches, a prescription for percocet, and a follow-up appointment consult.
     And now we are home, our family is back together, and I am so grateful for wonderful friends who help the instant a need is recognized, friends who call and care both near and far, and the love of our church family and the prayers offered on our behalf. THANK YOU ALL! God Bless, and Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. How scary! Did they determine that she did break it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! Did they determine that she did break it?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.