Saturday, March 27, 2010

8 Hours in the E.R.

     I been sick. Ucky sick. It started Thursday night when I spiked a fever, had the chills and aches to go with it. Friday was nausea, headache and abdominal pain (Right sided under my ribs) progressing to the D word. I finally managed to get to sleep about 1:00 in the morning this morning, only to be woke up just after 4:00 by sharp, stabbing pain in my back, under my shoulder blade, and front, up under my ribs on the right. Couldn't get back to sleep and it felt like it was getting worse. Finally woke Mrs. Penguin up about 4:45 and had her take me to the E.R.
     I was so impressed by everything that happened in the first hour: admitted, questioned, I.V. started, x-rays and ultrasound of my gallbladder complete, 1.5 liters IV fluid, zofran 4 mg IV x 2, Morphine 4 mg IV, and Dilaudid 1 mg IV which took care of my nausea and pain. And then the day shift took over and things slowed way down. I drank my oral contrast for my C.T. by 8:00 (all 1.5 liters), but didn't go to C.T. until almost 11:30. I did get another 1.5 liters of fluid and 4 mg of morphine because the pain came back while waiting for the C.T., and developed a reaction to something I got while there. The results: nothing wrong with my gallbladder, diagnosis gastroenteritis.
     Discharged to go pick up meds at the pharmacy about 1:00 this afternoon with instructions to follow up with my PCM on Monday. Fortunately, because I missed Friday, plans were already in place to cover my 12 hour day call tomorrow. I had had Mrs. Penguin notify the on-call doc this morning and got a call from the boss this afternoon letting me know that my shift is still covered for tomorrow - Thanks everybody!
     That was my weekend so far, how has yours been?

2 comments:

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.