Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

     Mrs. Penguin and I celebrated our 12th anniversary this past Sunday! Just think, she has been putting up with my wanderings and wonderings inescapably for a full dozen years, and an additional year and a half while she had the option of escaping! Your sympathy for her is entirely deserved! In that time we have lived in 3 states, 5 towns, and 10 domiciles. We have covered countless miles, worn out at least one vehicle, been separated for days, weeks, and even months at a time by my wanderings, and yet she patiently sticks by me. Thanks, Mrs. Penguin!

     Our official celebration involved a trip to Roseville to eat out, after which we went window shopping. The meal was fantastic - I strongly encourage you to check out the Claim Jumper restaurant nearest you. The shopping was an effort to walk off some of the calorie overload we ingested. The most exciting part of the evening was when Mrs. Penguin realized she had lost her glasses. A very frantic few minutes ensued, with much dashing about in a most penguinish manner, followed by great relief when the glasses were located (Babies 'R' Us if you must know!)
     On Sunday we went out for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but only because the power was off at our house and we didn't want to open the fridge or freezer and risk ruining the food inside. We shared all three of those meals with Boy Wonder and Boo, and two of those meals with friends from church.
     This anniversary was rather subdued, compared to the efforts I have made in the past, but Mrs. Penguin and I weren't really in a big celebration mood. Marriage is like that too. You have really exciting times, big ups and downs, but some of the best times are when things are just moving along smoothly. As I have matured, I have come to appreciate the smooth times as much as, if not more than, the big exciting times.
     I am certainly not implying that the magic is gone. It's just different now. A deeper, more abiding, sustaining magic. I know that the excitement is always within my grasp, and I don't have to always spend a lot of money or go to a lot of effort to be able to experience it. Unfortunately, I sometimes use this as an excuse to not make any effort, which isn't okay either. Sometimes I forget just how much I have put her through. I know I will never be able to make it up to her, but I should probably try a little harder, though. Happy Anniversary Mrs. Penguin!
     Whoever your Mrs. Penguin is, take a moment to say thanks, even if it isn't your anniversary!
    
     For more reflections on anniversaries, check out the post over at cfcworldmissions.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary!

    I remember your wedding. I'd actually forgotten I was there until this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary!

    I remember your wedding. I'd actually forgotten I was there until this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.