Saturday, March 6, 2010

A rose by any other name . . .

     We are all familiar, or at least most of us are, with the line, "A rose by any other name, wouldn't smell as sweet." I'm not sure if that is true or not, but do think that names are funny things. 
     Take for example, the name of this blog. It is "The Wondering/Wandering Penguin." If you missed my very first post, go back and check out how the name came to be. In short, Penguins are funny, they waddle when the walk, have a personal significance in terms of my relationship with Mrs. Penguin, I get to do lots of wandering around the world, and lots of wondering as I go. I often feel a bit Penguinish. Makes sense, at least to me.
     Imagine if you will that I had named this blog some of the other names I considered . . "The Blahhg," "Moose on the Loose," "Misplaced Moose," "Poor Wayfaring Stranger," or "The Roaming Gnome."
    While each of these had potential, what sort of message would I have been sending with the name of my blog? "The Blahhg" would have given the impression that it was, well, "blah." Who wants to read a blah blog? Not such a good choice, hmm?
    Next, consider the Mooses (meece, moose', what is the proper plural of moose?) I am not particularly Moose-like, and while I am occasionally loosed or misplaced, neither of those really fit my mental image of myself, nor did I feel it would give you, the reader, any insight into what you might find in the postings. Besides my good friend Peyton who got me started on this crazy endeavor is out searching for a moose, and I would hate to give our common readers the impression that he is looking for me.
    "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" gives the impression that I am either poor financially or spiritually, neither of which would be something I would care to advertise in a blog. I actually feel quite blessed in both regards. "Wayfaring" is similar to wandering, I believe, but without looking it up, I can't say for sure. "Stranger," well, those of you who know me know that they don't come much stranger than me . . . or at least that's the way my dad tells it! So PWS really didn't seem to convey the right message either.
    Roaming Gnome might have fit a little better if I were short like my friends "The Troll" or "Wolfie," but since I am average height for a male, and don't like to think that I am Gnomish in appearance, I summarily rejected it.
    Which left me back where we started on this post, a Wondering/Wandering Penguin. What other names do you, my fellow penguins, feel might have worked? Let me know . . . I'm wondering!

1 comment:

  1. I like "The Blahhg". That is awesome! :)

    And it would have been funny if you had been the Misplaced Moose... we coulda been blog partners! :)

    Ever notice how many exclamation points and smiley faces I use?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.