Saturday, July 9, 2011

Anchor Point Serves

    This is an article I wrote about some of the guys and myself from my hometown. This will be the first of three articles I wrote about my deployment. Enjoy!

    Anchor Point is a town of only about 1900 people, but it is extremely well represented in the Armed Forces. This point was amply illustrated earlier this month at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan.
    Three sons of Anchor Point, all Air Force, were briefly reunited thousands of miles from home. Davin Chesser, a Reserves C-130 maintainer deployed from Elmendorf AFB has nearly 10 years in. Dan Byrne, a first term Imagery Analyst, is deployed from Beale AFB, CA and will re-enlist while deployed. Robert (B.J.) Austin, Nurse Anesthetist, recently returned from his deployment to his home station at Travis AFB, CA. He has seven years in the service. The three attempted to meet for dinner, but due to schedule conflicts were unable to get all together. Instead, Chesser and Austin chatted for a few minutes, and later that evening, Austin and Byrne shared a meal.
    Austin and Chesser were neighbors on David Lee Street growing up, while Byrne and Austin both attended church together at the Anchor Point church of Christ, where Byrne’s dad preached. All three are graduates of Chapman Elementary and Homer High.
    While it is not uncommon for those from larger cities to run into someone from their hometown, reunions such as this must be extremely rare. “I’ve never heard of three people from the same small town all being deployed together since I joined the Air Force. I’m sure it’s happened before, but it was a real surprise to see these guys” said Austin.
    Mike Koch, U.S. Army and another former Anchor Pointer, just returned from Iraq. That is more than 2% of the entire population of Anchor Point serving overseas at the same time. The number in the service is even higher. Says Austin, “I know of at least 2 others from Anchor Point who are in the Navy, Gloria Velsko and Morgan Tracy. There are probably others on Active Duty I don’t know of, and many more who have served at least one term in a branch of the Armed Forces. VFW Post 10221 should take pride, knowing that their tradition of service to country is being continued, and strongly.”

5 comments:

  1. That is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SRA Zack Schindler, a Ninilchik neighbor and Homer High grad, serving with Bagram CASF just returned to Langley AFB, VA. It is interesting how you all were serving together. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you sent a version of this to the Homer papers? ~ Steve Byrne

    ReplyDelete
  4. The article about myself and Zack, which I actually wrote first, I will publish next. I sent these to the Anchor Point VFW, and asked them to pass along to the Homer News, Peninsula Clarion and the other Homer Newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The article about myself and Zack, which I actually wrote first, I will publish next. I sent these to the Anchor Point VFW, and asked them to pass along to the Homer News, Peninsula Clarion and the other Homer Newspaper.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.