Monday, July 4, 2011

Primus' Petition

     I have to start off by saying how impressed I am. I wish he were this passionate about something else, but I still applaud the thinking and effort that have gone into this. Primus loves Legos and Star Wars. He would rather get a new Lego Star Wars set than just about anything else in the world. He really, really, really wants a Lego Millenium Falcon. Lego currently does not offer them for sale in the United States, and those available for sale overseas are going for $300.00-500.00 on e-bay. He doesn't have that much money, even by combining his upcoming birthday (still 6 months away), his spending money that he's saved, the money that Mrs. P had intended to spend on his day out with her a couple weeks ago, and any other source he could come up with . . . the funds just aren't there.
     So, he came up with the idea of utilizing Lego's "Design by Me" program on the internet to design his own version of the Millenium Falcon, which would come with instructions and a box all specially related to his design. Just one problem, though. And I quote, "One good tip to make it past moderation is to use your own imagination instead of trying to copy existing names, designs or product-shapes." The Website goes on to elaborate, "
  • A box is a box and a car is a car, you can upload as many cars as you want, but if moderation can clearly see what type of car you had in mind, then your model will be rejected.
  • You may make all sorts of products, chairs, lamps, speakers, whatever you may think of. To give an example, please go ahead and make a car, just make sure it’s not too similar to any existing car (i.e. dad´s, your teacher´s, or your own favorite car). So use your imagination, and by all means be inspired by your surroundings, but please DO NOT COPY names or details of products made, and owned by others."
All of which led us to believe that any attempt that was recognizable as the Millenium Falcon would be rejected. So, what to do? I suggested him designing another ship that would seem as if it belonged in the Star Wars Universe, or designing something else completely. As usual, my suggestion was rejected. I'm ok with that, and here's why. He came up with another solution entirely on his own! And it's not a bad one either. Here is the letter he wrote yesterday:

      "Greetings Lego,
           You may know me because I have entered a few contests. I am a lego fan and I am 13.
           The reason I am writing is I want you to put the Lego Millenium Falcon in stores. On the back of this page is a list of people who want the Millenium Falcon in my state. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

      Sincerely, Primus"

    Maybe I am over-reacting, but I was blown away. People have started petitions for far sillier things. Why not a petition for Lego to sell the Millenium Falcon set in the U.S.? So far, he has collected 4 signatures. I would sign it as well. In fact, I'm thinking about creating an online petition to help him spread his efforts. What do you think? Should we do it?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good idea ..as there are a lot of people who collect Star Wars items. Tell him Nonna would sign it! Wonder how many signatures you could collect online. If they have created it for sale in other countries, it shouldn't be too much trouble to recreate to sale in the good ole USA.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.