Sunday, July 31, 2011

Post 100 . . . on why I will miss California

     A little over three years ago, Mrs. P, Mini and the two kiddos packed ourselves into my new Pick-up truck, hitched the car onto the trailer and "headed out west" to California. I have to admit, we had a lot of trepidation. None of us had ever been to California before, and the few people we knew there were going to either not be allowed to talk to us, or just as busy as we were. We had no idea if we would find a good church home, or if we would be confronted by the liberal wackos that everyone seems to think are so prevalent in California. Would I be able to finish out my anesthesia program (OK, Mrs. P says she was fully confident, and so do the big kids, so I guess I was the only one with doubts about that) or end up another washout? Would we grow spiritually or stagnate? Would I get to teach or preach or lead singing or do any of the other things I've done in the past at different congregations? Would the kids have anyone else in their Sunday school classes? Would they have anyone to play with? So many questions.
    Tonight, after having said goodbye to so many of my friends and church family at the Vacaville church of Christ, I know the answers to all those questions. I am truly sad to leave. California has been so good to us. We have been so blessed in our time here. Sure, we had times of struggle and frustrations, but we set out Tuesday for our new adventure knowing that we leave here with so many strong friendships and relationships, that we will always have a place to stay (or 10) if we ever get back this way, and that there are so many people praying for us, that I can say our time here has been an unqualified success. As I told Mrs. P, our kids have so many "grandparents," "aunts," "uncles" and "cousins" in California who are going to miss them when we are gone. Our own nuclear family has grown, we have grown as individuals, and we have so many reasons to look forward to that final reunion.
    Thank you all, and God Bless.

P.S. Regina, don't cry :)

1 comment:

  1. LOL-you know me so well! (As I wipe away the tears) I love you all so much & look forward to your future wiritings!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as you wish. Remember that my kids will read these too, and conduct yourself appropriately. Thanks.